Only one stayed in touch. Only one came to visit. Only one could she call if she needed something.
Now for all i know this woman is the bride of Frankenzilla herself when not in public. Many people keep a face in a jar by the door but my wife told me about this customer of hers and i didn't think that. Well, i did think that but only for a really, really brief moment. My main thought was, "i don't keep in touch with any of my aunts and uncles."
And as i went to bed, in the forty-five seconds between becoming horizontal and the onset of catatonia, my mind started making a list. A lovely list. An adorable little list of all the people my mind, who apparently had been paying attention to these things even thought i thought i'd been ignoring...
- My grandmas, one of which is developing alzheimer's like symptoms.
- My father, who asked me to call him.
- My sister, who's undergoing psychiatric evaluations these days while her two remaining children hang with...
- My folks, who asked me to do a couple of favors for them that i keep forgetting.
- My brother, who just moved his family across the country and i never visited while he was in Washington, a state i really wanted to visit.
- My sister's other two kids who now live with their fathers.
- My old partner, Duke, who called me out of the blue yesterday and has been out of work for a couple of months.
- My best man, who i realized last night i never sent his family's Christmas gifts to.
- Panzer, who, like my partner Duke, calls me out of the blue every now and then.
- El Oso, who sent me a very nice Christmas gift himself.
- The Mighty and Glorious Garrett Jaxx, who, wrapped in golden chains, i had been meaning to see even before the king died and made it more of an imperative.
- Gosh, i'm glad this is not a numbered list.
- The aunt and uncle that leant Mynk and i their cabin for our honeymoon.
- The only aunt and uncle that stay in touch on my patri-side.
- Either of the two cousins i have on my matri-side.
- Any of full regiment of cousins from the other side, one of which adored me as she was growing up and had a baby who's name i can't remember.
- Moffatt, my brother in worship who moved on to another outpost of the realm.
- The Hawk, my brother in music who i've made several sad attempts to form a band with.
- Add to this the innumerable friends and relations i see once a week and act like that's enough. Or the guys i see at work everyday but hardly speak to. So many lives i rub up against.
- The homeless that i took blankets to once last year and haven't been back.