- Bullet list!
- When did hunters go from the predominant species in Pennslobovia to a freakish curiosity that mothers bring their children outside to see?
- Relatedly, is our move as a civilization towards pacifism, anti-gun, anti-hunter, anti-fisherman a step towards perfection, presuming that Adam and Eve felt no need to kill, or a step towards feminization and are we losing something vitally masculine?
- Speaking of emasculation, you're scared now aren't you? Where's he going to go with this? If i even see the word 'knife' i am out of here! Fear not, hapless reader, i am feeling more metaphysical than that. What i was going to say before i wandered down Ramble Road again, was that i really wish i had the gift of decisiveness. i can never decide if my inaction is the result of a holy waiting on the Lord or a frightened staying of the course in order to avoid the consequences of stepping out.
- i think that's why i like Post-apocalyptic stories. In my mind, the subterfuge and lies of civilization have been stripped away and life gets boiled down to a basic level of survival again.
- In that vein, read the Road by Cormac McCarthy recently. Loved it. Man's a poet. Disturbing, but great.
- And that's what makes me wonder... if life really was boiled down, stripped bare, hardened, would i still think it was so great? When daily decisions have life or death consequences, when dinner isn't a question of what box to nuke but will we find something to eat if we travel in this direction or will we end up something to eat? Would i long for these days when my direction is decided for me?
- Not that that makes strapping the workboots back on today for another nine or ten hours of mindless, friendless, rewardless labor any easier.
- The key is to remember that it's not hopeless.
- No really, it isn't.
- i hope.
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
Bullet holes along Ramble Road
i don't know if it's the white-noise jamming of life or the fractured state of my mind but i can't seem to form one coherent thought here. My two readers can probably guess what that means...